HF 20/20 – Horse Fever Anniversary Collection
Who’s Eligible: Florida Regional Artists
Title of Event: HF 20/20
Description of Event: It has been 20 years since Ocala’s record-breaking public art project and auction, Horse Fever. For five months the public delighted in our herd of 53 horses, many of which still adorn the streets of Ocala. Artists and a generous business community came together to ultimately raise over $1.5 million for the arts and 27 other local charities, founding the Marion Cultural Alliance (MCA). We proudly reflect on a 20-year period of growth and consistent support through programming, grants, and scholarships enhancing art and cultural programs across every medium in Ocala/Marion County.
In celebration, we are creating a new artistic opportunity for artists and patrons. You could be among a select group commissioned to paint and embellish a life-sized horse for this celebration of our community.
Regional artists from Florida will be selected to paint and embellish one of 20 horses that will be displayed publicly in early 2021.
The new herd will arrive in Ocala in early October. Each horse weighs approximately 145 pounds. Artists are encouraged to submit designs for this anniversary public art project.
MCA will arrange for selected and matched horses to be mounted on a concrete base, with a plaque identifying the artist and patron affixed to the base. Submission must be received at Brick City Center for the Arts office no later than 5:00 pm Friday, August 14, 2020.
How to Apply: Artists must submit:
- Four images from your portfolio on a CD or flash drive. Clearly identify each image, including your name and description of the medium used in the work.
- Horse designs must be submitted on 11” x 17” sheets.* The enclosed/ attached sheets show two poses. Each artist will submit no more than 3 design specs. Each design must be on separate 11” x 17” sheets. Write your name and horse’s name on each submission, along with the words HF 20/20.
- With each entry, include a written description of your horse including the materials you plan to use.
- Include your resume, which must include your current address, phone number, and e-mail.
*Additional 11”x 17” sheets are available at the Brick City Center for the Arts. If you need the sheets mailed please contact [email protected], or call MCA at 352-369-1500. Send or deliver packets to: HF 20/20 c/o MCA, 23 SW Broadway Street, Ocala, FL 34471
- MCA will pay an honorarium of $1,750 to artists selected and matched with a horse patron. Artists are expected to pick up and transport horses to and from a warehouse in Ocala, at their expense. Uncrated horses weigh approximately 145 lbs. and stand 6’ tall.
- Artists are responsible for the cost of all materials related to completing the selected designs.
- Payment will be made to artists at the time the completed horse is delivered to designated location, TBD.
- If a design changes radically from the initial proposal, a new design specification must be submitted to and approved by MCA. If the design changes radically and no new specs are submitted and approved, the artist will not receive the honorarium and the horse will not be utilized as part of the program.
- Please review the HF 20/20 PROJECT CALENDAR for information regarding deadlines for pick-up and delivery of horses.
**Selected and matched artists will be given specific instructions at the artists’ reception regarding painting the horse and finishing materials. This is a free standing outdoor fiberglass horse: no fabric, collage, decoupage, or attachments will be accepted. Due to weight, no stone or brick horses will be accepted. No politically themed horse, corporate logos, religious icons, professional or collegiate team horses will be accepted. MCA will accept, for example, weather resistant metals, mirror, reflectors, mosaics, etc. The manufacturer specifies the use of acrylic paint.
Deadline & Drop Off of Submissions: Friday, August 14, 2020 at The Brick Gallery by 5pm.
Event Presented by: